Try to buy a home that meets most of your needs for the next 5 to 10 years, or find a home that can grow and change with your needs. Use the Home Features Checklist to see what you want, need and may potentially need in the future.
Choosing a Location that is Right for You
Even if the home you choose has everything you need, the location might not be appropriate. When deciding where to live, you should take the following things into consideration:
- Whether you want to live in a city, a town or even in an out-of-town location.
- Where you work and how easy it is to commute.
- Where your children will attend school and how they will get there.
- Whether you need a safe walking area or recreational facilities such as a park nearby.
- How close you would like to be to family and friends.
- New Home, Previously Owned or Build Your Own?
When thinking about the kind of home you want, the first thing you should consider is whether you want a previously owned home (often called a resale) or a new home. Here are some characteristics that may help you decide:
Deciding on the Type of Home to Buy
There are many types of homes to choose from and each has its advantages and disadvantages. Think about your needs before making a decision. Don’t forget to look beyond the walls. The environment surrounding your home can be almost as important as the environment inside of it.